Monday, September 19, 2011

Tomato Basil Bruschetta with Whole Grain Bread

Ever have one of those appetizers that make you wish you hadn’t ordered your main dish? It tastes so good; you just can’t stop eating it. I’m sure you’re familiar with the type…do I have to mention chips and salsa…bread baskets…Cheddar Bay Biscuits (why do you torture me, Red Lobster?)…or really any kind of bread and dip combo? Bruschetta is one of those appetizers, and this is especially true during the summer when tomatoes are ripe, vibrant, and full of flavor. Last night was no exception. Since we had so much bread left over from our shopping trip a few days ago, I decided to whip up these scrumptious toasted treats to go with dinner. Needless to say, we had a lot of leftovers today from the main course!

Getting Started

In my experience, it’s best to use denser bread. I’ve found that when I use something lighter (usually has a lot of air pockets in it), the texture of the bruschetta almost takes on a stale feeling. I chose a whole wheat bread in this case, but you can choose your preference. 

Start by slicing the bread (a little thinner than regular bread slices) and drizzling both sides with olive oil; if you are using pre-sliced bread, that’s fine too. Brown both sides of the bread slices in a skillet or grill pan over medium heat, then set aside. While the bread is browning, slice the tomatoes and basil and toss with salt and 1/2-1 tsp olive oil. When the bread slices have cooled slightly, rub one side with the whole garlic, and top with the tomato mixture.


Wrapping it up

Bruschetta is a lovely item to make; not only is it beautiful and full of flavor, but it’s also incredibly quick and easy to prepare. It’s sure to be a big hit at the dinner table or your next get together.

Ingredients

4 slices bread
1/2 package grape tomatoes, or 1 large fruit stand tomato
5-6 basil leaves, rolled up and cut into strips
Coarse salt to taste
Olive oil for tomato mixture and coating bread slices
1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole

Servings: 2-4


Pin It
Thanks for reading my blog! Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or meals you would like to see me cook, in the comments below. If you like this blog, please follow me!

pic name pic name pic name pic name

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for another informative site. The place else could I am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal way? I’ve a mission that I’m just now running on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

    io jogos net
    friv school Games to play
    a10 best free online game

    ReplyDelete
  2. friv school Games for kids 2019
    kizi.com
    online game for kids
    Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mcdvoice within 7 days is a survey from McDonald's which is running to get effective feedback. Feedback is helpful to know the customer's report about McDonald's. Bruschetta ,Grilled Eggplant Fajitas are always ready for you on mcdonalds.

    ReplyDelete