Friday, September 16, 2011

Spicy Hummus

Yesterday was a long and draining day. I was in a grumbly mood and definitely craving some comfort food, so I decided to whip up some yummy hummus, or yummus as I like to call it, while waiting for dinner to finish cooking (I made my roasted vegetable medley again - so good!). I discovered a really great hummus recipe several months ago and made a few alterations to it, as usual, to fit my liking. Their recipe called for 1/3 cup olive oil, which I reduced to 5 Tbs (mainly because I kept using up all of the olive oil!); I also added more lemon juice and a tablespoon of pine nuts, which made an excellent addition. 

One thing is for sure, this yummus doesn't hang around very long. Garlicky, spicy, a little tangy, and oh so tasty; this dip is great with vegetables, crackers, or chips (I really enjoy it with tortilla chips); and also makes a terrific addition to sandwiches.

Getting Started

This recipe is pretty straight forward. Drain the garbanzo beans and reserve about a tablespoon of the liquid. Add the beans, liquid, and the rest of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until all of your aggression/stress/frustration is gone...er, I mean until smooth. If you want a smoother mixture, you can peel the garbanzo beans first. I tried this once and didn't think it was worth the extra time. I don't have the best blender, so it didn't make that much of a difference.

Wrapping it up

That's all there is to it. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Be forewarned, however, it is very delicious, but very garlicky; might not want to eat any before an important meeting...or going to the dentist...or a hot date. Or you could just put in less garlic, but that just wont due for garlic lovers like me!


Ingredients

1, 15.5oz can garbanzo beans (less sodium if you can find it)
1 tbs liquid from garbanzo beans
5 tbs olive oil (= 1/4 cup + 1 tbs)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp pepper
1 garlic clove, peeled
4 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs pine nuts


Pin It
Thanks for reading my blog! Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or meals you would like to see me cook, in the comments below. If you like this blog, follow me!

pic name pic name pic name pic name

6 comments:

  1. I love trying new hummus recipes, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great recipe! thanks! i doubled the garlic & used ground rosemary instead of cumin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about using ground rosemary! What a great idea; I'll have to try it next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get enough of your posts. They are exactly what I need. I often read them to get the information. I learn some lessons from the articles. If you can write posts frequently, that will be awesome. Thanks for giving tips and interesting pieces of information. friv 4 school Games for kids 2019
    kizi land
    free games 2019

    ReplyDelete
  5. t’s really extraordinary and informational blog such a good thinking. It's in reality a great and useful piece of information. I'm glad you have this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing. abcya games , Friv2021 , Minecraft games

    ReplyDelete