Saturday, September 17, 2011

Monster Veggie Sandwich with Homemade Pesto

Today was definitely a "scattered cook" day. I started out wanting to make simple sandwiches for lunch with a pesto recipe I found. I was inspired by a sandwich I had yesterday with some great friends of mine, which also had a yummy pesto sauce on it. I thought to myself, 'sandwiches will be quick and easy,' so Dustin and I headed off to the store to get the ingredients.

While at the store I decided to pick up other things we needed as well (why make more than one trip, right?), plus the artisan bread in the bakery looked so good...and the cheese was on sale...and I'm sure I can find a recipe for those mushrooms, etc. After an hour, $100, and a serious case of zombie face from my husband, we were finally back home, and I was finally getting to work on the pesto recipe. This is how things developed:

First thing was first, the recipe called for 2 cups of packed basil. I went to my garden and begrudgingly whittled down my beautiful basil plants. When I thought for sure I had plundered enough to make the recipe, I brought it inside and reached for my measuring cup...no measuring cup to be seen. I looked around, then realized it must be in the dishwasher, which is was...and with all of my other measuring utensils...and I forgot to turn it on last night...washing dishes ensued. Finally dishes were done and I was ready to get back to making my pesto, when I realized the luscious bunch of basil I just plucked barely filled 1 cup!! And what else? I didn't have the right kind of cheese! Another trip to the store was in order. I could go on like this, but I think you get the picture. We finally sat down to eat our lunch at 6pm!! In the end we went a little crazy with the ingredients, but it's to be expected after an ordeal like that ;)

Getting Started: The Pesto


Luckily, once I had myself and my kitchen in order, the pesto making was really rather simple. Just throw everything in the blender and blend until nice and smooth. You can check out the original recipe here (thank you, Food Network), or you can use the list below:

            Ingredients

            2 cups basil, packed
            2/3 cup olive oil
            2 garlic cloves
            1/4 cup pine nuts
            1/2 cup Pecorino cheese
            Coarse salt and pepper to taste

Getting Started: The Sandwiches


The thing I love about sandwiches is all the different flavor combinations. A person could eat sandwiches every single day and never have the same thing twice. I started out just wanting cucumber, tomato, olives, pesto, and cheese; and ended up with a delicious monstrosity that required both hands for eating...it was really good. All you do is spread the pesto on one or both sides of the bread and layer with all the goodness listed below:

Ingredients

Your favorite bread (I used Puglaese folded bread)
Kalamata olives, chopped
Tomato
Green leaf lettuce
Marinated artichoke hearts
Pesto (homemade or store bought)
Mozzarella cheese slices
Avocado
Cucumber

Wrapping it up

It is my sincere hope that it will not take you 4 hours to fill your starving bellies with this delicious sandwich. In theory, it should only take a few minutes, and I hope  you enjoy it immensely!

Pin It
Thanks for reading my blog! Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or meals you would like to see me cook, in the comments below. If you like this blog, please follow me!

pic name
pic name pic name pic name

11 comments:

  1. Yum! You have the most gorgeous photos of your food. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog today and love the sound of your recipes. I want to try some right away! Also your photography is great. What kind of lighting do you use for your food photos?

    *Also, I just tried to send this post through my wordpress account but I'm not sure it worked. Sorry if you get this twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Shane! Believe it or not, I use the incredibly terrible lighting in my apartment kitchen. I have absolutely no natural light here, which bums me out. Mostly I end up brightening the photos in Picasa - very high tech, I know, but it seems to be working for the moment! ;)

    Glad you like the recipes; I hope you end up trying some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Exceptional work!

    io jogos 2019
    friv play Games
    a10 games 2019

    ReplyDelete
  5. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..
    kizi game online
    friv 2019
    free online games 2019

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing blog.Really thank you! Cool.Fantastic post.Much thanks again. Cool.I really appreciate this blog.Thanks Again. Hold writing.Wow, great article. Fantastic.This is one awesome website article.Much thanks again. abcya free games 2020 , jogo friv 2020 , 2player 2020

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.alittlebaker.com/2015/06/cauliflower-crust-pizza-vegan-gluten.html?showComment=1601614262135#c4914885270709717625

    ReplyDelete
  8. The team was transparent, hard-working extra resources, and accommodated throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today was definitely a "scattered cook" day. I started out wanting to make simple sandwiches for lunch with a pesto recipe I found. I was inspired by a sandwich I had yesterday with some great friends of mine, which also had a yummy pesto sauce on it. I thought to myself, 'sandwiches will be quick and easy,' so Dustin and I headed off to the store to get the ingredients.Click Here

    ReplyDelete