Thursday, October 20, 2011

Magically Disappearing Guacamole



If there’s one thing I love about get-togethers, it’s all the yummy appetizers I don’t normally take the time to make at home. One of my favorites is guacamole.

Now let me make this clear, I’m referring to the real stuff here, not the pre-packaged, store bought “guacamole,” which I regrettably bought several months ago. I put it in quotes because, unbeknownst to me, it wasn’t actually guacamole. In fact, I don’t think it even contained avocados in any form. 

After pulling back the lid and seeing the weird, goo-like consistency glaring back at me (it was almost frightening…almost), I realized the container actually read “guacamole flavored dip,” which could mean any number of things in the tricky marketing world. Even worse than the consistency were the ingredients listed on the back, half of which I could not pronounce, and all of which were not very tasty.

So long story short, I decided to find a recipe and make my own, and I’ve never looked back…I’m afraid to; that goo was the stuff of food-lovers’ nightmares!

Getting Started

I’ve found that if you want to make a big impact with only a little effort, especially at get-togethers, guacamole is the way to go. It definitely doesn’t stick around long, probably because I lurk over the bowl, and it hardly takes any time to whip up! The only thing I don’t like about making this recipe is that I can never seem to make enough! So if that’s cheesy enough for you, I’ll get to the actual instructions…which are super elaborate and complicated (don’t mind my sarcasm)!

I started out using THIS recipe from myrecipes.com, and have made minor changes as I've gone along, mostly because I’m too lazy to measure everything out.

Start by slicing up your ripe avocados (just slice right in the shell, then dig out with a spoon). Then all you do is throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mash until blended, but still chunky. The easiest way I have found to do this is to use a whisk to mash everything, and then gently stir with a spoon. The whisk cuts through the avocado easily without breaking everything else apart, then you can mix it all together. Don’t stir to oblivion; people like chunks…okay, I like chunks, but still! 


As a side note, if you can’t find a ripe avocado to save your guacamole-loving skin, try the organic section. This has worked for me in the past…a little more expensive, but worth it to get a ripe avocado, in my humble opinion. You simply cannot make guacamole with a hard avocado…unless you know something I don’t, and It’s really not nice to keep secrets!

Wrapping it up

That’s all there is to it! Place in a decorative bowl with chips and watch as it disappears before your eyes. It’s also great as a garnish to other dishes, such as these Grilled Eggplant Fajitas I made a few days ago – yum!


Ingredients

2 large, ripe avocados, sliced
1 roma tomato, diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (you can add more if you like it spicy)
2 tsp chopped onion (yellow or white)
Juice from 1/2 lime (if your lime is dry, add more)


Pin It
Thanks for reading my blog! Please leave your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or meals you would like to see me cook, in the comments below. If you like this blog, please follow me!

pic name pic name pic name pic name

5 comments:

  1. This would disappear here too. Love guacomole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2player free
    friv play
    jogos io online
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again. What’s up, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was funny. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another informative site. The place else could I am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal way? I’ve a mission that I’m just now running on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

    io jogos net
    friv school Games to play
    a10 best free online game

    ReplyDelete
  4. kizi 2 player racing games
    free games online
    friv Games for school 2019
    You use a excellent blog here! would you like to earn some invite posts in my small weblog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk To Giant | Is it right that you are searching for TalkToGiant Survey? In the event that truly, at that point here you will get all the data with respect to the Giant Food In-store Customer Satisfaction Survey or Giant Food Stores Survey...click here..Giant Food Survey.

    ReplyDelete